I’m Fauna, a high school student that loves science. Curie’s Curiosities is named after Marie Curie, a scientist who developed the theory of radioactivity and discovered two elements- polonium and radium. She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize and the first person to win two.
According to the United States Department of Labor and Science and Engineering Indicators 2014, women make up 47% of the total U.S. workforce, but are the minority in science fields-
- 39% of chemists and material scientists are women
- 27.9% of environmental scientists and geoscientists are women
- 15.6% of chemical engineers are women
- 12.1% of civil engineers are women
- 8.3% of electrical and electronics engineers are women
- 17.2% of industrial engineers are women
- 7.2% of mechanical engineers are women.
I created this blog to share the fun of science and to encourage girls to explore its many branches.